The Ibis trilogy, written by Amitav Ghosh consists of three books. The first is ‘Sea of Poppies’, second is ‘The River of Smoke ‘and third one is ‘flood of Fire’. All his books are on opium war and impact of war. There is blending of high seriousness and low humour in the account of events before or during opium wars. The history of fanqui town in Canton has been fascinating, written as a mysterious civilization that has just began to locate corruption. In the novels of Ghosh, we find a sense of historical reality in terms of time and space, forming an integral part of work of art, achieving wider dimensions of universality. Most of his novels are on the theme of displacement, race–relations and reidentifications. Knowledge is produced by structures of dominance particularly. The military, economic strategies of colonialism, of border lines, between nations, genres. In his novels he examines at least one form of knowledge in colonial power structures. The study of Amitav Ghosh’s novels is an opportunity not only to pursue the issue of post-colonialized subalterns but also to view history with novel perspectives.
Cite this article:
Sanjay M. Nandagagawali. Blending of History and Fantasy in the Novels of Amitav Ghosh with reference to the Ibis Trilogy. Res. J. Humanities and Social Sciences. 2020; 11(2):153-156. doi: 10.5958/2321-5828.2020.00027.3
1. Sandipan deb https://www.Livemint.com 30 July 2016
2. An Interview with Mohmood Kooria Wikipedia
3. www.thecriterion .com Indian Express Jun 3-2011
4. Swati Nandy 22April https://www.youthkiawaz.com/ 2014/04/8
5. Ghosh Amitav Sea of poppies 132
6. https://www.theguardian.com/book/2015/Jun/5/flood-of-fire amitav ghosh’s -
7. https://www.livemint.com sandipan deb 30 July2016Amitav Ghosh’s ibis trilogy: of trade winds and opium tales.