Rama Rao Bonagani
Dr. Rama Rao Bonagani
Assistant Professor, Department of Public Administration and Policy Studies, Room Number 204, Kauvery Block, School of Social Sciences, Central University of Kerala, Tejaswini Hills Campus, Periye (Post), Kasaragod (District), Kerala.
Volume - 13,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
The gender equality means when the people of all male and female genders have equal rights, responsibilities and opportunities. The sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. An United Nations Organisation (UNO)’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) were adopted by all its member states in 2015 with 169 targets to reach by 2030. India has adapted these SDGs. Among the 17 goals, the SDG goal 5 is related to ‘Gender equality: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls’. There are 9 targets there in this goal. The coronavirus has exacerbated existing inequalities for women and girls across every sphere from health and economy to security and social protection etc. This article has focused for the assessment of the UNO’s SDG 5 at the international and separately by another data at an Indian levels in order to know to what extent gender equality for females had been achieved. The gender equality for females sustainable development on the whole had been slightly progressing under the SDG 5 at international level.
Cite this article:
Rama Rao Bonagani. Gender Equality and Sustainable Development: A Case study of UNO’s SDG 5. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2022; 13(4):267-4. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2022.00043
Rama Rao Bonagani. Gender Equality and Sustainable Development: A Case study of UNO’s SDG 5. Research Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences. 2022; 13(4):267-4. doi: 10.52711/2321-5828.2022.00043 Available on: https://rjhssonline.com/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-13-4-9
1. Delysa Burnier (2016), “Gender and Public Administration” in Domonic A. Bearfield & Melvin J. Dubnick(edited), Encyclopedia of Public Administration and Public Policy, Third edition, Boca Raton, CRC Press: Taylor & Francis Group, p.1542
4. Momsen Janet (2010), Gender and Development, second edition, London, Routledge: Taylor & Francis Group, Retrieved from https://www.pdfdrive.com/gender-and-development-2nd-edition-routledge-perspectives-on-development-d176261170.html, p.8.
5. https://www.vic.gov.au/gender-equality-what-it-and-why-do-we-need-it,accessed on 10th August,2020
6. https://www.unfpa.org/gender-equality,accessed on19th August, 2020
7. https://www.news18.com, accessed on 19th August, 2020.
8. https://www.un.org/en/sections/issues-depth/gender-equality/,accessed on 8th August, 2020
10. https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/gender-equality/,accessed on 7th August,2020
12. Kabeer Naila, Magnus Edda and Stark Agneta (2008), “Introduction: Reversing the Gaze” in Kabeer Naila and Stark Agneta with Magnus Edda (edited), Global Perspectives on Gender Equality Reversing the Gaze, New York ,Routledge: Taylor & Francis Group, Retrieved from https://www.pdfdrive.com/global-perspectives-on-gender-equality-reversing-the-gaze-routledge-unrisd-research-in-gender-and-development-d186142804.html,p.4.
13. Ibid, p.13.
14. https://www.iisd.org/about-iisd/sustainable-development, accessed on 8th August, 2020.
15. https://research.un.org/en/docs/dev/2000-2015, accessed on 20th August, 2020
16. Ibid, no.4, p.9.
17. https://sdgs.un.org/goals, accessed on 7th August, 2020.
18. Niti Aayog, Sustainable Development Goals:17 Goals to transform our world, New Delhi, Government of India
19. https://in.one.un.org/page/sustainable-development-goals, accessed on 7th August, 2020
21. Ibid, no.17
22. Ibid, no.19
23. https://www.un.org/en/sections/issues-depth/gender-equality/,accessed on 8th August, 2020
24. https://in.one.un.org/page/sustainable-development-goals/sdg-5/, accessed on 7th August, 2020
25. Ibid, no.18, p.26
26. United Nations,(2020), “The Sustainable Development Goals Report 2020”, published by United Nations, Retrieved from https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/report/2020/The-Sustainable-Development-Goals-Report-2020.pdf, P.3.
27. Ibid, p.2
28. Ibid, no.26, p.10
29. Ibid, no.26, p.34
32. Ibid, no.26, p.35
37. Niti Aayog,(2020), “India VNR 2020: Decade of Action -Taking SDGs from Global to Local”, New Delhi, Government of India, Retrieved from https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/26281VNR_2020_India_Report.pdf
38. Ibid, no.24
39. Ibid, no.37,p.62
40. Ibid, no.37, p.59
42. Ibid, no.37, p.60
45. Ibid, no.37, p.61
47. https://pmsma.nhp.gov.in/maternity-benefit-programme, accessed on 18th August,2020.
48. Ibid, no.39
50. Ibid, no.38